There are lots of good sustainability-related activities going on this weekend, so I thought I’d give you a heads-up so you can be making plans in advance. (Personally, there are so many that I still haven’t made up my mind on where I want to go!)
Friday, September 14th
- Connecting Farm$ to Local Market$ workshop in Bowling Green at the National Corvette Museum from 8:45 am-3 pm. A networking event to connect farmers to retailers/wholesalers looking for local producers. Includes a luncheon catered by Home Cafe and Marketplace.
Friday & Saturday, September 14th & 15th
- The Kentucky Association for Environmental Educators will be holding their annual conference in Jamestown at Lake Cumberland State Resort Park.
- The 7th Annual Ky Mule & Donkey Association State Championship Show at Central Ky Ag Expo Center in Liberty. View the show schedule here.
Saturday, September 15th
- Wonder of Life Farm in Lancaster will be holding an open house on their farm from 10 am to 4 pm. Tour their farm, see their alpacas, watch demonstrations from vendors at their farm store. For more info, call 859-792-8923 or 502-507-8383.
- Bear Wallow Farm in Nancy (outside of Somerset) will have their annual fall kickoff and Giant Pumpkin Weigh In. This is one of my favorite fall events—farmers will be bringing their pumpkins hundreds of miles just to compete for title of biggest pumpkin. (Watermelons, too!) You can also visit the petting zoo at Bear Wallow, walk the corn maze, view a huge variety of heritage breed animals, and go for a hayride. Be sure to pick up a jar of honey from the farm’s bees or some maple syrup tapped on site!
- Maggie Green, author of the Kentucky Fresh cookbook, will be at the Boone County Extension Office in Burlington doing a seasonal cooking demo and tasting at 10:30 am.
- Seed-to Table Secret Supper at Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill in Harrodsburg at 6:30 pm. Three course meal includes wine pairings. Call 800.734.5611 ext. 1545 to reserve a spot. (Shaker Village is a perfect place to go anytime you need to relax—one of the most tranquil spots in Kentucky!)
- Live Large, Live Local Community Festival at Berea Farmers Market. A delicious local lunch will be served at 12:30. (My awesome friends from Sweetgrass Granola/Food Leaf Farm will be providing some chicken for the event.) Black Feather, Main St. Cafe, and Berea Coffee and Tea will be preparing the food. Also… pony rides, obstacle course, a dinosaur cave for kids, farmers competing in a sack race and opportunities to learn more about local community organizations and projects. $8.00/individual, $15/couple and $25/ family of 4.
- Symphony Day at Jackson’s Orchard, Bowling Green, 10 am. FREE.